Monday, December 5, 2011

ARRRGHHH! Deleted Chrome Bookmarks Folder By Mistake.

Affordable Computer Geek of Salem MA

Just below the address bar in the Chrome browser window I have a few commonly used shortcuts and had two folder from my bookmarks as well. Having only recently switched to Chrome I was unsure of how to modify that area under the address bar. Of my two folders I wanted to get rid of the one called Work. So I right clicked on it and selected CUT. Thinking that it was only cutting it from the top of the browser window. I then open Bookmark Manager and find that the folder is GONE!.  Dread & panic set in. Four years worth of work related bookmarks that I rely upon heavily, sort of as a private knowledge base. 

So, how to recover mistakenly deleted Chrome bookmarks:
  • Open Windows Explorer and navigate to this path C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default
  • Inside that folder will be two files one called Bookmarks and the other Bookmarks.bak. For safety copy both off to someplace you can find later, say the desktop. 
  • Delete the one called Bookmarks
  • Rename Bookmarks.bak to Bookmarks. Notice there is no file extension. Just Bookmarks.
  • Close Chrome.
  • Reopen Chrome and your mistakenly deleted folder should be there. 
There are a few steps I left out, such as how to make hidden files and folders available. The Bookmark files are in fact hidden. The file path above is for WIN7. If you do not know how to make hidden files and folders available either Google it or post your question in the comments section and I will try to help you out. I also do not know what effect would have taken place if say the machine had been rebooted after the file was deleted, or what effect Chrome's synch feature would have. 





No comments:

Post a Comment